Saturday, August 16, 2014

Chunky Monkey!

As I said on my previous post I am in El Paso, TX at the moment and can I just say that I am having such a hard time with this move! I am going crazy. I miss the intensity and frantic noisy Egypt. I also miss my beautiful tropical island. Anyways the only way I am surviving is Chunky Monkey!!!! For those of you who don't know what that is... is Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream! I was two years and half without this glorious treat and now I am so happy to be able to eat it while I get use to this crazy place.

Let's start with the fact the we are in the border with one of the hot spots in Mexico. Ciudad Juarez. So everyone has this fear and are always saying be careful where you go and of your surroundings. So I left everyday harassment, bombings and all the crazy things going in Egypt to end up in pretty much a same scenario. No where is safe and I wish people will understand that. Puerto Rico is not safe either so I think I should definitely find a place to learn some self defense since I pretty much like to travel to different places. But one thing is for sure we should always be safe and do research and try to learn as much as you can before you find yourself in a very sticky situation.

Do not fear, I'm in a very safe place! I am not saying where but is a fortress! Moving on there is something that has been bothering me lately and is people's attitude. How much I had forgotten that people here are not friendly! Urgh! El Paso is full of Latinos so that means for me that is OK to talk in Spanish I mean is my first language! But no, can you freaking believe that I am seeing them I know they are Latinos I am a Latina, and they have the audacity to say excuse me? I don't speak Spanish. What? Yes, you read that right. I can hear this thick accent and I just, I am speechless! How can you deny your first language? I can hear your English is bad and your telling me you don't speak Spanish! The other day I just laughed at her face I couldn't help myself. How did we get here?

Latinos have always been subjected to racism in the US and now we are denying our roots and our culture and to top it off we look down on our own! Shame on you Latinos of El Paso who do this! I myself don't have trouble with English on the contrary but my Sister in Law gets so shy and I see her ask if they talk Spanish and when they refuse to speak it to her it sends me in a mood that I just have to step in. I think is a blessing to be able to communicate with people in different cultures who speak your language. I remember when I found Latinos in Egypt I got so excited to speak my language! I am the kind of person that I always want to help. I can't stand people who understand the language and choose to ignore those who need help. Just so you know this people have the audacity to speak Spanish in front of you when they answer their cell phone!!!!!!  It happen to me in Bath and Body Works! I understand the ones who look like Latinos but don't know anything in Spanish I have cousins in Chicago who don't speak Spanish!  But the people I am referring to are the ones who understand the language and deliberately say they don't.



Wow, that felt good! Can you understand why I need the Chunky Monkey now?! A few things I have found is this good website called Meetup.com where you find different groups of people to do stuff like hiking, reading clubs and such. I checked and there are some groups in Egypt too for my friends there who read this blog. So between looking for things to keep me occupied, finding a job and eating chunky monkey I have also spend my time reading Craiglist adds... I know! I never thought about those things but I kind of find so romantic and sometimes I laugh at the way people see each other. You don't know what I'm talking about? Check Miss Encounters on Craiglist and see the ads some are super romantic others well they are just plain stupid but I always hope that those people kind of get their happy ending! Also is good material for my book! Anyways I think this is it for now I will keep you guys posted on my adventures!

Thank you for reading and following me!

Chunky Monkey!

Share:

Post a Comment

Facebook
Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us

71b809932686e4f45d8880b320d05c1d9d9866f691241a45a6
71b809932686e4f45d8880b320d05c1d9d9866f691241a45a6

Pages - Menu

© Caribbean Girl in Cairo All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates